Thursday, November 15, 2012

Shun The Sun

Clint and I ran in the "Shun the Sun" half marathon last Saturday.  We ran this one together two years ago but didn't do it last year because A) I had a baby two days before the race and B) Clint had not recovered from his surgeries.  We really debated about it this year because we are on a tight budget and every race seems to get more and more expensive anymore.  BUT, we did it and I'm so glad we did.  It was so nice to get some one on one time with him doing something we both love.  We used to race together all the time and it happens far and few between now.  Sometimes I wonder what the heck we have in common anymore, but our love for competition and races and exercise is something we both love.  I think sometimes I forget how much he loves it simply because he doesn't have time to participate much.  Anyways.  Neither of us trained for this one.  Clint ran 4 miles about a month before the race, and I ran 3 miles two weeks prior.  I get to the gym often enough, but never get to run because of the kiddos.  So we were both hoping to just finish without too much pain.  Thankfully we did.  Kind of.  For me, I felt great and kept a decent pace until mile 10.  Then my knees started to crap out on me.  By mile 13 I was really done and thinking to myself, "why the hell would I ever want to train for a marathon?!"  Clint says he started to really feel it at mile 8 but never walked once.  I can't tell you how proud I am of Clint for doing this!!!!  After everything he has been through and after zero prep, he gulped down a Red Bull (don't get me started) and ran 13.1 miles with no problem.  This makes me proud.  For some reason I am STILL feeling the affects of the run.  My endurance is not my problem, but my knees are apparently getting old.  My right one especially.  I will be doing normal everyday chores and it will just give out on me.  And I can't fully bend it without excruciating pain.  I think I'm due for new running shoes but can't justify the price when I'm not running on a regular basis.  Anyways-we had a blast.  

I never carry my phone when I run because I don't have a case, but I borrowed my dads for this one and LOVED it!  Not only could I track my pace and listen to Pandora, but if I needed a distraction, I had plenty!  Audrie texted me mid  run asking if I was running a race.  I answered by taking a picture of myself and sending it to her. 

Something I want to remember but will not be funny to you:
On the way to the race, I kept telling Clint to slow down or he was going to get a ticket.  On the way home on the freeway, I noticed cars zooming past us.  I looked over and started cracking up.  He was going 50!  Once he realized, we were both dying laughing.  See?  Not funny.  But at the time it was hilarious!  He was just too worn out to push that pedal down any farther. 

3 comments:

Jalei & Lane said...

Yall are so cool. I really would love to do some kind of race with Lane.

Jami said...

I wish Patrick liked to run. That's great you guys share something like that.

Tiffany said...

I can't believe you guys both completed a half marathon on so little training!!! thats brave and amazing! congrats! ;)